What's going on with Broadband in Dorset?
There have been many questions going around about superfast broadband in Dorset. This page has been designed to answer a few of them...
Comms UK goal is to provide the best option for your business; whether you need standard Broadband (ADSL) or Fibre (high-speed-broadband) or a lease line.
Being local and knowing the area Comms UK have the local knowledge to know what is possible in terms of broadband speed in your area.
For an idea of what is possible in Weymouth and Dorchester, here's what our customers are receiving:
- Lynch Lane, Weymouth - Upload: 8.5Mbps - Download: 65Mbps
- Top O'Town, Dorchester - Upload: 8.5Mbps - Download: 24.6Mbps
So what's the broadband situation in Dorset?
- The Olympic 2012 Sailing down in Weymouth and Portland delayed the superfast broadband installation. Originally it was meant to be installed to benefit the Olympics. BT initially said "Weymouth would have the same fast web connections as neighbouring Portland." A superfast fibre optic broadband connection at the Portland National Sailing Academy was put in place for use by the media, administrators and athletes during the Olympic sailing events.
- Fast forward to 2013. So it seems that some residents in Dorset started to get access to the superfast broadband at the start of summer 2013. With some areas getting it before others. A client of ours was left baffled. Where their property falls under two postal codes, they were left baffled why only one of the postal codes could receive superfast broadband and the other one couldn't. Even though it was the same house.
- BT started making promises that some residents didn't like and they then felt let down. BT is set to bring superfast broadband to 97 percent of homes and businesses in the county by summer 2016. Whilst many residents and businesses thought they would be able to have fibre optic broadband installed in 2013.
- The fact is the rollout of superfast broadband is going to take time. People are understandably disappointing at the fact they may not have superfast broadband by Christmas 2013. With each year being big for the UK, we believe that next year we will see a big rollout of superfast broadband across Dorset and other parts of the UK.
- Are there parts of Dorset that could miss out on superfast broadband? Yes! There are some areas in Dorset that are set to miss out on it like Netherbury and other rural areas. It seems that the west of Dorset has been affected the most.
- The good news! The good news is that superfast fibre optic broadband will be rolled out across all of the UK. Meaning that the rural areas like Netherbury will receive superfast broadband in the near future! In the meantime there are alternative solutions.
This page will be updated regularly with news as we get it. Also with any further Dorset broadband information that we come across.
If you are adversely affected by the rollout of superfast broadband then there are alternative broadband solutions. If you have any questions feel free to contact us and we will be happy to help.